[nSLUG] sudden shutdowns

Vikram Chhatre crypticlineage at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 11:36:35 AST 2008

nSLUGers,

It seems like I am destined for hardware problems this month.

This weekend my home computer suddenly started shutting itself down
without any warning or signs.  This is a AMD XP 2200+ machine that I
built 4 years ago when I was a student at Dalhousie.  It has served me
well over the years.  Last month I upgraded from Slack 10.0 to 12.0 and
things were working great until this problem started.

About the time when I was planning the upgrade, I also opened up the
machine and cleaned up all the dust that had collected in the box.
There was a lot of it.  I should have really serviced / replaced the cpu
fan/heat sink but I just cleaned as much dust as I could without taking
the heat sink off.  Now I am wondering if my CPU is overheating causing
the system to shutdown.

Since I was still tweaking my new Slackware version, I was in runlevel
3.  I thought I should be able to quickly copy my working files to the
flash drive without having to start X, but the system shuts down as soon
as I plug in the usb flash drive.  The BIOS shows cpu temp at 86F.

Tonight, I plan to take the heat sink and fan off and replace it with a
new one thats been lying around.  Perhaps that will make the problem go
away.  In the meantime, it would help a lot to hear what you guys think
the problem could be.   I will also open up and take a look at the power
supply and test the voltages.  From what many of you said before, its
quite likely the PSU is failing.  But would that cause problems like this?

The /var/log/messages has no relevant information about the sudden
shutdowns.

Thanks
Vikram