[nSLUG] Slack upgrade (Was: Card Reader)

Eugene Cormier eugene.cormier at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 07:33:40 AST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 01:51 -0400, Daniel Morrison wrote:
> No, it's not.  It's saying I don't want the gear shift engaged and the
> accelerator pressed automatically when I put the key in the ignition.  (If
> I put the key in, surely I wanted to move the car?!?)

ok, but again, this is a lot easier for you, the mechanic,  to set up
than the average driver...

> I draw the line at "processing data on the device without the user
> requesting it".  If a USB stick or a CDROM is inserted, it could say: the
> computer noticed new media inserted.  Blah, blah, configured fstab, now
> you can <click here> to open the directory in your file browser (which in
> turn triggers an automount of the medium). That's OK, because the user
> requested it.

I agree, I personally have a setup which, when a usb stick/cdrom is
added, it's mounted and an icon is added to my panel (I didn't like the
opening nautilus to browse it, but I do like it to be mounted and show
up in my panel)

> And yes, I'm willing to make that decision for everyone else.  I want
> Linux to be an OS that lets people do what they want, and choose, to do.
> I don't want it to choose to do what some programmer decided it should do,
> like Windows.

this whole last paragraph is of course hypothetical and just a little
contradictory, if you're going to make decisions for other users, then
it's not what they want but what you want.....it's all a matter of
"should the guy put the toilet seat down, or since he already had to
touch it to put it up, maybe the girl should put the toilet seat down"

> Sorry if I'm coming across a bit strong; I just think it's important.

you are, but you're entitled to your opinion as well......honestly I
agree with most of what you're saying (I wouldn't want data accessed on
a removable drive automatically either)....I'm just saying, there are
other points of view to be considered

*           Eugene Cormier             *
*          Acadia University           *
*        www.eugenecormier.com         *
*       eugene.cormier at gmail.com       *
*       DEN 152, (902) 585-1329        *
*    Classical Guitar, Guitar Class,   *
*    Guitar Ensemble, Prelim. Rud.     *