[nSLUG] Slack upgrade (Was: Card Reader)

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Mon Feb 11 02:27:11 AST 2008

Daniel Morrison wrote:
> On 10/02/2008, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:
>

> 2) Note he's talking about GNOME.  I have been using fvwm with my
> slackware machines since... forever.  I have my own fvwm config, but I'm
> sure even with the default that it does nothing for you automatically.
> That's a disease only GNOME & KDE have caught; they've been infected by
> Windows.

XFCE 4.4.2 now offers HAL support.
I like working with XFCE much more than Gnome and I tried KDE one or
twice, hated the overkill of apps and dcop server - that really is Windows.
And just like Windows, when the dcop server hangs so do chunks of the
system.  I really tried to give KDE a chance, after 2 or 3 days, I
dropped it.
Gnome just got too large - I used to use Evolution, but switched back to
Thunderbird.

>> For sure, I'll do my first 2.6 installation on a spare box to see just
>> what I'm to be blindsided with.
>>

> Kernel 2.6 and Slackware 12.0 really aren't anything to worry about, at
> least not in this topic.  (Read the upgrade notes; they're important for
> 12.)  The horrible behaviour is entirely in userspace, when you run an
> "interactive desktop".  Stick with (insert favourite classic window
> manager here) and you'll be just fine.

Agree. :)

Rich