[nSLUG] Slack upgrade (Was: Card Reader)

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 01:51:25 AST 2008

On 11/02/2008, Eugene Cormier <eugene.cormier at gmail.com> wrote:

> yeah....but that's like saying "why hook up the brake pedal in a new car
> to apply brakes when depressed" .....ok granted there may be some
> drivers that would want it to do other things, but....shouldn't it do
> the obvious thing??

No, it's not.  It's saying I don't want the gear shift engaged and the
accelerator pressed automatically when I put the key in the ignition.  (If
I put the key in, surely I wanted to move the car?!?)

> now, generally speaking....should the distro automatically assume that
> all of it's users know how to do everything manually and do nothing by
> default.....in which case the uneducated user is up shit creek and the
> advanced users are fine

No.  I never advocated doing everything manually.

> ok...I see your point here.....but those tools have been around for a
> while haven't they....and for someone to be able to double-click on
> something, the system must have realized that something was inserted and
> create the icon (or whatever) and to some degree, that's automation as
> well......where do you draw the line....and are you willing to make that
> decision for everyone else

I draw the line at "processing data on the device without the user
requesting it".  If a USB stick or a CDROM is inserted, it could say: the
computer noticed new media inserted.  Blah, blah, configured fstab, now
you can <click here> to open the directory in your file browser (which in
turn triggers an automount of the medium). That's OK, because the user
requested it.

And yes, I'm willing to make that decision for everyone else.  I want
Linux to be an OS that lets people do what they want, and choose, to do.
I don't want it to choose to do what some programmer decided it should do,
like Windows.

Sorry if I'm coming across a bit strong; I just think it's important.

-D.