[nSLUG] Slack upgrade (Was: Card Reader)

Eugene Cormier eugene.cormier at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 01:06:05 AST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 00:35 -0400, Daniel Morrison wrote:
> If they're so easy to change, why not make them "off" by default, and let
> people turn them on if they desire?  (Note: people who never learn enough
> to turn these features "on" don't understand enough to be able to use the
> system safely when they're "on").

yeah....but that's like saying "why hook up the brake pedal in a new car
to apply brakes when depressed" .....ok granted there may be some
drivers that would want it to do other things, but....shouldn't it do
the obvious thing??

let me say this....GNU/Linux is the greatest thing ever.....there is
room and choice here for all of us, and you have to admit that every
computer user has varying degrees of how much "hands-on" they
want.....some build their system from scratch and would say that gentoo
people with emerge are cutting corners.....gentoo users often say how
binary people are cutting corners.....but the great part is that we can
all find a distro that suits our needs....would you say that a Windows
user who want greater security and stability just shouldn't use Linux
unless they want to become a guru??

now, generally speaking....should the distro automatically assume that
all of it's users know how to do everything manually and do nothing by
default.....in which case the uneducated user is up shit creek and the
advanced users are fine, or should the distro help the new users and let
the people who know what they're doing change it to be what they want
(the second seems to make more sense to me anyways).....I don't think
the important part of Linux is what it does or doesn't do....but the
fact that you can always change anything (if you know what you're doing)

the last thing I'll say is that when I came into the Linux/Unix world I
had a lot to learn in a very short time to get a fully-working
system.....and if I had to learn "everything", I would have given
up.....the thing that kept me here was that many things worked, but then
I could take topics one-by-one and learn them well....I'm not saying
that users shouldn't learn the OS better (we wouldn't be in the dire
straights of security that we're in right now if users understood the
system better) but what I am saying is that I think it's unreasonable to
ask a new user to learn everything at once)

> Really, it would be better not to create these features at all, and
> instead devote the time and effort into making it easy for users to access
> devices at the filesystem level.  If they choose to double click on
> something, and there's an associated application, that's OK.

ok...I see your point here.....but those tools have been around for a
while haven't they....and for someone to be able to double-click on
something, the system must have realized that something was inserted and
create the icon (or whatever) and to some degree, that's automation as
well......where do you draw the line....and are you willing to make that
decision for everyone else

remember, new Linux users are commonly coming from Windows, and the more
users we have, the quicker we find and fix problems (I know there are
cons associated with more users as well) ....

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this.....just some thoughts for
you to mull over

Eugene

> -D.
*           Eugene Cormier             *
*          Acadia University           *
*        www.eugenecormier.com         *
*       eugene.cormier at gmail.com       *
*       DEN 152, (902) 585-1329        *
*    Classical Guitar, Guitar Class,   *
*    Guitar Ensemble, Prelim. Rud.     *