[nSLUG] Slack upgrade (Was: Card Reader)

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Sun Feb 10 21:40:08 AST 2008

Mike Spencer wrote:
> me> ...upgrade from Slack 10.1 to 12 (RSN) I'll go with a 2.6 kernel.
>
> Rich> When you upgrade, best to rename the current dirs and start
> Rich> fresh.  I took the long approach and took me a day to cleanup
> Rich> old crap.
>
> I've only upgraded twice: From my first install of Caldera (kernel 2.2)
> to Slack 8 and from Slack 8 to Slack 10.1.  Both amounted to a
> re-install.  In the case of Slack 8->10, PJV provided suitable scripts
> for the 8->9 and 9->10 transitions but, because of filename changes
> for the package tarballs, the 9->10 scripts didn't work for 8->10.  Ho
> hum.
>
> It would be nice to just type a command to upgrade because on a new
> install,  I have a couple of pages of notes on all the little things
> that I change to customize a system: Emacs 20 instead of newer ver,
> LPRNG because CUPS doesn't support my laser printer, sendmail tweaks,
> install libc5 for Maple etc.  On a new install, all that has to be
> done manually against a checklist and tested.

10 to 11 was a snap, but 11 to 12 had a few gotchas, especially with fonts.
There are notes what to expect if you go for upgrade path, rather than
new install.
I had a lot of older dropline gnome libs laying around that caused some
headaches.
They are gone now that I use XFCE, and no more issues.

What version of CUPS and gutenprint (aka gimp-print) are you using?
Gutenprint is the new name and 5.11 is working really nice - solved some
issues with graphics on the HP.

> Rich> 12.0 also switches over to newer version of gcc which required
> Rich> me to recompile a few apps...
>
> Um, I don't get that.  What does the installed version of gcc have to
> do with an app that is *already compiled*?  Could gloss that, please?
> I occasionally see some mention of a package that won't compile
> correctly with the most recent version of gcc but that's a different
> matter.

Mostly just apps that were compiled with shared libs.
I've had an odd blowout here or there, especially anything that used
video drivers.
I usually use apps not in the distro, or recompile the disted version to
pick up different features,
like with amarok and postgres db usage.

> Rich> Oh I remember that in 2.4, are you running preemptive mode?
>
> I have no idea.  I think I recall seeing some stuff about a bunfight
> amongst the Linux kernel hackers over the scheduling algorithm but I
> don't really grok all that.

I think they addressed a lot of that in 2.6 kernel.
System processing does seem smoother and less choppy.
I hit hard with compression tools, and playing mp3's, and working in Gimp.
Writing to IDE DVD has not caused any coasters while playing mp3s.
I do notice that I do get bad media from Costco's TDK 100pk, DVD+R, but
the cheaper DVD-R work flawless.

>> Which window mgr are you running?
>>

> twm.  Yeah, I know it's been explicitly deprecated here on NSLUG as
> well as elsewhere.  "Trailing edge", y'know? :-)  I'm always keen on
> simplicity and the Unix doctrine of separate, simple tools for each
> purpose. (My pocket knife has a single blade, QED. :-) But I have
> several big chests of other, metaphorically single-bladed tools for
> other purposes.)
>
> So far (AFAIK) I haven't hit anything where twm fails.  Are you
> suggesting that the keyboard speed glitch might be caused by a
> conflict between the twm and usb-storage.o?

Some managers run tools to work with Hal and such.  I keep forgetting
your on 2.4 :)
A lot has changed in 2.6, the hotplug device has been replaced with
Hal/udev and seems to work much better with recent releases.
Could be the hotplug daemon that is causing you delays.

Rich