[nSLUG] Re: Card Reader

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Feb 9 16:45:23 AST 2008

me> "Still"?  I dunno. I'm using a 2.4 kernel and the drive mounts as
me> /dev/sda1...

Rich> Yup, they changed all that in 2.6.x so now all usb devices are
Rich> now /dev/ubX

Ah, well, thanks.  A little snippet to keep in mind for the future.
I'm a trailing-edge-of-technology kind of guy but I suppose when I
upgrade from Slack 10.1 to 12 (RSN) I'll go with a 2.6 kernel.

I'm reminded of a trip to NYC I made on a 305 Honda Hawk. (Yes, long
ago) For a while I slipstreamed behind a 40 foot trailer rig.
Unbelievably nice ride until I thought of what would happen if the
trucker hit the binders hard or skimmed over a $LARGE_OBJECT, leaving
me ca. 100 ms to avoid instant death.  I don't suppose that aspect of
the metaphor applies to desktop technology. :-)  In fact, it might be
just the opposite: if latest-gizmo, otaku hi-tech has some kind of
train wreck, I should miss it altogether.

me> The only problem was that keyboard rate (normally set by kbdrate
me> -d 250 -r 24) seemed to slow way down while the device was up.

Rich> I noticed that too. hmm.. may need to investigate that.

If you do and can remember, post your findings here or send me private
email.  TIA.

- Mike

                                                           /V\