[nSLUG] Card Reader

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Sat Feb 9 16:14:18 AST 2008

Hi

Mike Spencer wrote:
>> The packaging states it works like a pen drive.  Does any one know
>> how to mount a pen drive in Linux?  Is it a scsi module?
>>

> I don't have a clue about what you're working with but my son gave me
> what I think you mean by a "pen drive" -- a 1G USB storage device the
> size of my thumb -- for Christmas.  Here's what I did for it:
>
>    + In init file:  modprobe -s usb-storage
>
>    + In /etc/fstab: /dev/sda1  /mnt/usb  vfat  noauto,user,rw,exec,sync
>
>    + From keyboard: mount /mnt/usb

It looks like a mini-iPod with a slot for an SD card.
Plugs into your front panel USB slots.

>> Many still mention usb devices being treated as SCSI.
>>

> "Still"?  I dunno. I'm using a 2.4 kernel and the drive mounts as
> /dev/sda1 since I don't have any other SCSI devices on that machine.

Yup, they changed all that in 2.6.x so now all usb devices are now  /dev/ubX

> My memo-to-self says I got info from:
>
>     http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_USB_Mass_Storage_Device
>     http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x498.html

Thanks, I had the usb storage working for many years.
It seems the new SDHC specs are giving everyone headaches in the kernel
driver world.
But.. at least they are providing specs to Linux developers (for a change).
So it may be a bit before the readers work correctly.

> I don't have any immediate use for the pen drive but I did get it up
> and working.  The only problem was that keyboard rate (normally set by
> kbdrate -d 250 -r 24) seemed to slow way down while the device was up.
> I haven't followed up on that problem.  Interrupt-sharing problem?
> Dunno.

I noticed that too. hmm.. may need to investigate that.

> HTH because I don't know what "ProFlash Card Reader 6-in-1" is,

Just a portable card reader for SDHC (the cards that go upto 32GB).
I don't understand why they keep adding caps.  They set a cap of 32GB a
year or two ago,
now the 16GB cards are out, WAY ahead of schedule.  This means the spec
they are
working so hard to implement will have a shelf life of only 2 or 3 more
years.

Then I guess its trade your 2-year toy in for a new model that supports
a 150GB limit.
hehe.

Limits, limits, limits - I love how Windows had so many limits based on
BIOS, while Linux just didn't care what the Bios said.
That was a smart decision to take that path.  I had machines running
20GB drives (as long as you gave the geometry) that normally could not
even think of in the DOS/Windows world.

Thanks for your suggestions

Regards
Rich