[nSLUG] Re: Card Reader

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Feb 9 02:10:01 AST 2008

> The packaging states it works like a pen drive.  Does any one know
> how to mount a pen drive in Linux?  Is it a scsi module?

I don't have a clue about what you're working with but my son gave me
what I think you mean by a "pen drive" -- a 1G USB storage device the
size of my thumb -- for Christmas.  Here's what I did for it:

   + In init file:  modprobe -s usb-storage

   + In /etc/fstab: /dev/sda1  /mnt/usb  vfat  noauto,user,rw,exec,sync

   + From keyboard: mount /mnt/usb

> Many still mention usb devices being treated as SCSI.

"Still"?  I dunno. I'm using a 2.4 kernel and the drive mounts as
/dev/sda1 since I don't have any other SCSI devices on that machine.

FWIW, after mounting the device, dmesg shows:

    Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
    usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
      Vendor: USB2.0    Model: Mobile Disk       Rev: 1.00
      Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision:
    02
    Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    sda: Write Protect is off
     sda: sda1
    WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
    USB Mass Storage device found at 4
    USB Mass Storage support registered.
    usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:1f.2-1 address 4
    hub.c: new USB device 00:1f.2-2, assigned address 5
    WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
    USB Mass Storage device found at 5

My memo-to-self says I got info from:

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_USB_Mass_Storage_Device
    http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x498.html

I don't have any immediate use for the pen drive but I did get it up
and working.  The only problem was that keyboard rate (normally set by
kbdrate -d 250 -r 24) seemed to slow way down while the device was up.
I haven't followed up on that problem.  Interrupt-sharing problem?
Dunno.

HTH because I don't know what "ProFlash Card Reader 6-in-1" is,

- Mike

                                                           /V\