[nSLUG] Problem with wireless DNS setup

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Tue Feb 5 01:57:37 AST 2008

J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
> The problem child is a MSI RG54G3 wireless router, or me.
>  Since I bought this router a there has been a problem with my laptop
> and Palm TX obtaining the DNS server automatically.
>
> I have always set the preferred DNS server manually to my gateway
> 192.168.0.1, Internet connections have been available.
>
> A situation has arisen with an XO where I need to obtain this
> automatically this.
> DHCP set up
>
> DHCP Server 	Disable Enable
> Lease Time 	Day Hour Minute
> IP Pool Starting Address
> IP Pool Ending Address
> Domain Name
> Primary DNS
> Secondary DNS
> Primary WINS
> Secondary WINS
> Gateway 	(optional)

What about other settings - do you have any MAC filters setup?
How many devices do you have on the network - is your pool large enough?
Does you router show connection attempts / requests?

Wireless adds a few other items -
do you use different channels?  SSID correct?  WPA enabled?
do you have the auth setup correctly?
is wireless enabled?

Have you looked over your config settings
does wireless work for other devices?

Rich