[nSLUG] Frequent hang ups

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 20:50:59 AST 2008

Bad power supplies can happen even with
no electrolyte thrown out.  I recently replaced
a PS in a system that even checked OK with
a basic 12V ATX power supply tester.  The system
had been spontaneously rebooting shortly after
a start up.  With the PS replaced, everything
was fine again.  Many people who have a few systems
keep around a spare PS from an old box so they have
one for quickly testing like this.

With case and power supply priced under $60 at many retailers,
the failure of power supply isn't unexpected - the components
are cheap and just not designed to last long.