[nSLUG] Frequent hang ups

Michael Sutherland mike at checkthisshitout.com
Sun Feb 3 19:57:26 AST 2008

On 3-Feb-08, at 6:51 PM, Vikram Chhatre wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> Thank you so much for taking time to reply and for all suggestions.
> Today, I finally got around to removing power supply and taking a look
> at the insides.  You guys were absolutely right.  There is plenty of
> goop over and around most of the Capacitors, small and large.  I am
> surprised the PSU is still working.  I am ordering a new one right
> away,
> but is it safe to keep working with it until the new one arrives?  I
> have already made full backup of the hard drives.
>
> Here are the pictures:  http://www.crypticlineage.net/albums/antecgoop
>
> Thankfully, all Caps on the mobo (Jim's suspicion)  and video card are
> intact.   Also, the video card is seating properly.
>
> I also did a complete shutdown on Thursday night and haven't seen the
> hangup after that.  So that might explain it as well.
>
> Again, thanks for the help.  I have more questions about another issue
> on another computer but I will start a separate thread for that.
>
> By the way, Jim, thanks for offering to help with mobo Caps.  Although
> thankfully I don't need to replace any caps there, it would be one
> hell
> of a trip for the mobo from Nashville, Tennessee to Halifax, Nova
> Scotia :).
>
> Cheers
> Vikram
>

> -----------------------------------
>
> Vikram Chhatre
> Dept. of Biological Sciences
> Vanderbilt University
> Nashville, TN 37232

Hi Vikram,

I am not certain that the power supply looks bad, all the capacitors
in your photo's appear to be intack.  The brown goop inside your power
supply looks more like a glue to help stabilize all the components.
Especially since it is also covering the inductors.  http://forums.legitreviews.com/about8078.html
   Bad capacitors tend to look a little puffed out at the top with a
brown crusty looking substance dried on to top of them. (http://www.jebswebsite.com/misc_pics/ibm_mobo_capacitors.jpg
).

If your getting the required voltages from your power supply and
everything has been stable since Thursday I think you most likely
resolved the issue by the simple act of reseating everything.  In your
attempt to investigate.

*Thats right I stand by my original suggestion*

Of course if the power supply is indeed bad you run the risk of
damaging your other components, hard disk, etc.  So replacing it is
cheap insurance.

Regards,
Michael