[nSLUG] Frequent hang ups

Vikram Chhatre crypticlineage at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 18:51:02 AST 2008

Everyone,

Thank you so much for taking time to reply and for all suggestions.
Today, I finally got around to removing power supply and taking a look
at the insides.  You guys were absolutely right.  There is plenty of
goop over and around most of the Capacitors, small and large.  I am
surprised the PSU is still working.  I am ordering a new one right away,
but is it safe to keep working with it until the new one arrives?  I
have already made full backup of the hard drives.

Here are the pictures:  http://www.crypticlineage.net/albums/antecgoop

Thankfully, all Caps on the mobo (Jim's suspicion)  and video card are
intact.   Also, the video card is seating properly.

I also did a complete shutdown on Thursday night and haven't seen the
hangup after that.  So that might explain it as well.

Again, thanks for the help.  I have more questions about another issue
on another computer but I will start a separate thread for that.

By the way, Jim, thanks for offering to help with mobo Caps.  Although
thankfully I don't need to replace any caps there, it would be one hell
of a trip for the mobo from Nashville, Tennessee to Halifax, Nova Scotia :).

Cheers
Vikram

Vikram Chhatre
Dept. of Biological Sciences