[nSLUG] Eastlink cable modem access

Mark Lane lmlane at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 10:35:41 AST 2008

I quickly glanced over this thread and I think the problem is outside your
house. It appears that when asking for an IP address that sometimes the
router is going to a 10.6.x.x address instead of 24.x.x.x address that
Eastlink uses.

It have seen this with services that require a login before giving out a
public IP like Bell Sympatico but most cable companies don't do this. That
suggests that your router is getting a response from an alternate DHCP
server than Eastlink's.

Either someone has set up a system or device incorrectly, maliciously or
it's some internet worm running on a hacked Windows box. I expect you could
hack a Windows Box if you gave it false network addresses fairly easily.

>From what I know of cable networks, everyone in a given area is on same
share network segment basically. So you maybe able to get a MAC address for
the box and provide that information to Eastlink so they can investigate it.
Though they should be able to trace it by the DHCP responses themselves.

For you solution, you could just change the network mask from
255.255.255.255 to one that only responses to 24.x.x.x. I will let you
google how to determine the network mask.

Mark Lane, CET <lmlane at gmail.com>