[nSLUG] Eastlink cable modem access

Greg Hamilton greg.hamilton at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Feb 1 10:08:29 AST 2008

On Thursday January 31 2008 01:51:26 pm Gerald wrote:
the 10.6.x.x address on a DHCP port. Then I started looking at the logs.

> My understanding of the DHCP protocol is it can/must ask first for a
> renewal from the same DHCP server that offered the address to be
> renewed. That leads to requests to a specific address instead of the
> 255.255.255.255 address.

It probably ARPs itself on the old address first, before asking for the old
leased address (I think).

If you're worried about DNS, run named in cache mode and point it at whatever
DNS server you want. resolv.conf can then point to 127.0.0.1 and you should
be well.

Best regards,

Greg