[nSLUG] Codeweavers - CrossOver Linux

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Wed Dec 31 11:16:26 AST 2008

David Potter wrote:
> /
> /Does anyone have experience or knowledge of this (or similar) software?
>
> http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/
>
> /"Run popular office productivity software, such as Microsoft Office,
> Photoshop, and Lotus Notes, in Linux, without any Microsoft OS license
> costs."
> /
>
> /"CrossOver Linux allows you to install many popular Windows
> productivity applications, plugins and games in Linux, without needing
> a Microsoft Operating System license. CrossOver includes an easy to
> use, single click interface, which makes installing a Windows
> application simple and fast. Once installed, your application
> integrate seamlessly with your Gnome or KDE environment. Just click
> and run your application, exactly as you would in Windows, but with
> the full freedom of Linux. /
>
> /*CrossOver Linux lets you use many Windows plugins directly from your
> Linux browser. Plugins work on any x86 based Linux distribution* and
> will integrate with most browsers including Firefox 1.x, Netscape 6.x,
> Konqueror, Mozilla, and Opera. CrossOver also integrates with Gnome
> and KDE to let you transparently open any Word, Excel or PowerPoint
> file. But even better, you can open these attachment types directly
> from any mail client."/

Hi

Code Weaver cxlinux is the commercial version of wine wrapping
proprietary DLLs to help the apps run, as well as offering application
support.
Wine uses coded equivalents to these DLLs, which may work for 90% of the
apps.

I've run Office apps like Word and Excel, Photoshop, NoiseNinja, mIRC,
Firefox (win version for Windows-only plugins), and some games under
plain wine.
You might find a feature or two that may not work correctly.

If you are looking for just games, Cedega (aka WineX), does the same
thing as cxlinux by wrapping proprietary DLLs to get games to work.
Instead of buying, there is a monthly subscription fee.  I've tried it
and liked it, but I don't play enough games to justify the overall cost
per year.

I haven't used cxlinux, but from my experience I think the virtual OS
installs are much better.
The overall structure is based per-application.  This means the highest
priority or most popular apps gets addressed first.
This could lead to frustrations if your favorite app is not on the "hot"
list, which is one of the reasons I dropped Cedega for now.

I found the virtual OS installs to be very reliable on a daily basis for
over 2 years.
Every app I tried was working fine.  Games are another story - DirectX
had some issues but may work now.
One of the main drawbacks was with apps that used USB ports.
Hopefully, this will be addressed in future releases.

Rich