[nSLUG] Brain picking

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Tue Dec 23 13:15:41 AST 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 08:49:55PM -0400, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:

> I would like to have a wireless connection for a laptop. What would be
> the options.
> There are wireless bridges , there are cards for the computer, naturally
> a new router.

There is no reason to replace your router. There are several ways to
add to your current system.

Wireless bridges and access points are crazy expensive for what the
devices do. I suspect it is just an economy of scale thing. Wireless
routers are more common and cheaper.

Adding a wireless card to a computer is doable, but it is a
hassle. You need to insure that the card will act as an access point
and support WPA. Then you need to configure it all properly. On the
flip side you gain some flexibility. You can add a firewall and ipsec
or openvpn. Lots of fun stuff.

If you want something that will be hassle free and economical get a
wireless router, and don't use the router features. All wireless
routers that I have used bridge the wireless and internal wired
networks. Get a wireless router. Then:

1) enable WPA2 with pre-shared key authentication (psk)
2) disable the dhcp server on the wireless router
3) set a static ip to internal interface of the wireless router
   The wireless router is now a wireless access point.
4) connect one of the internal network ports to your existing network.

Easy. Wireless clients will authenticate with the WPA on the wireless
router, and get a dhcp address from the existing voip router.

I have done the above with an SMC and a Linksys wireless router.

--
sg