[nSLUG] fstab

Andrew MacPherson andrew.macp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 11:28:33 AST 2008

The 'user' and 'users' options only make it so that a non-root user is
able to mount and unmount that particular drive, not that they will
necessarily have access to it.

What you probably want is this:

/dev/sda1    /media/USB-HDD    vfat
rw,auto,user,exec,gid=users,umask=002    0    0

That will make is so that the drive is mounted with 775 permissions
and with the group set to 'users'. Naturally your guy has to be part
of the 'users' group as well.

Hope that helps.

Andrew