[nSLUG] fstab

Doooh Head doooh_head at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 23 11:08:57 AST 2008

Hi All,

I have a second drive in my computer running under the latest Ubuntu (8.10).  I've figured out how to add that drive to the fstab file so that everytime I reboot, that drive is automatically mounted.

The problem I am having is making the contents of that drive fully available to whatever user logs in.  Regardless of the user, I want that user to have full access (read/write/exec/etc) to that second drive/volume.  What parameters do I specify for it?  Currently I am using:

/dev/sda1    /media/USB-HDD    vfat    rw,auto,user,exec    0    0

With these parameters, when I check the permissions of a folder contained on that drive (through Nautilus) it says that it is owned by root and that the current user has no permissions.  I tried this:

/dev/sda1    /media/USB-HDD    vfat    rw,auto,users,exec    0    0

I thought I read that specifying "users" in the options, puts the drive into the users group which should mean I have read/write access, right?  This didn't work.

Any ideas on how to make this drive/volume fully available to any user that is logged in?

Doooh