[nSLUG] Brain picking

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 07:15:45 AST 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 8:49 PM, J. Paul Bissonnette <jpaulb at eastlink.ca> wrote:
> First of all Seasons greetings to everyone.
> Now that I have the niceties out of the way ;-)
>

> I would like to ask a question on how to setup a wireless connection .
>
> I have a router with a VoIP jack built in, which I wish to keep.
> The house is wires for internet, jack in each room.
> (I was an electrician and got carried away)
>
> I would like to have a wireless connection for a laptop. What would be
> the options.
> There are wireless bridges , there are cards for the computer, naturally
> a new router.
>
> I am open to almost any suggestion.

Routers are readily available, and now that 802.11n is gaining traction, you can
get older models at good prices if you have more time than money, otherwise
802.11n might be a better bet.   The big advantages of 802.11n are improvements
in antenna design (MIMO), support for 5ghz (in high-end models) and support for
extended networks (in hig end models).   If you have Apple or Windows
boxes, you
might want to look at the Apple Airport Extreme.  They are a step
above the consumer
grade boxes, but you have to use Apple's manager tool.   A year ago
when I bought
a couple airports for my house the other full-featured models cost
around $500.   We
did go thru a bad patch were the wife's iMac stopped working at 5Ghz,
but a software
update seems to have solved the problem.   Apple was updating firmware
early and
often when the Airport Extreme was first released, but by now it
should be mature.
Airports are popular at many universities  (they get discounts, and
Airport gets special
mention in the latest edition of "Linux System Administration") so
probably have had more extensive testing and real world abuse than
most.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia