[nSLUG] Brain picking

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Mon Dec 22 21:49:16 AST 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 08:49:55PM -0400, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:

> I have a router with a VoIP jack built in, which I wish to keep.
> The house is wires for internet, jack in each room.
> (I was an electrician and got carried away)
>
> I would like to have a wireless connection for a laptop. What would be
> the options.
> There are wireless bridges , there are cards for the computer, naturally
> a new router.

You will have better luck (and reception) with a wireless
router/bridge than with a wireless pci/usb/whatever card.

There's not really any point in a wireless bridge as any router will
function the same way... assuming you have a dhcp server running
elsewhere, just assign it a static IP (so you can manage it easily)
and plug it into your network. You may need to plug it into one of the
switch ports instead of the uplink port, but that varies.

... for example in my apartment I have two wireless routers
functioning as bridges, one for 802.11n, one for 802.11g (stupid
phone...)