[nSLUG] Securing Linux with shell users

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Thu Dec 11 20:41:22 AST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 6:32 PM, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Some ISPs do offer shell access.  Generally they want some ID so they have
> something solid on who to come after.  We have the equivalent in our case.
>
> I didn't want to discuss excessive details of our set
> up in a public forum, and I certainly don't expect
> someone to do the analysis for me.  I'm mainly looking
[snip]

There's been a lot of growth in virtual servers recently. I think
they've pretty much taken over the market that used to be served by
shell accounts.

The price is usually around the same and it's less hassle for the ISP.
There's some really cheap VPS hosts out there now - for example vps
village offers an entry level account for US$6/mo;

http://www.vpsvillage.com/

and

http://vpsville.ca/vps-plans at CA$10/mo

Moving up the payscale a little there's the likes of linode.com at US$19.95/mo.

Rob.