[nSLUG] The tide turned in Armdale Cove...

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Sat Aug 30 03:53:04 ADT 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 03:36:45AM -0300, Rich wrote:

> D G Teed wrote:
> >
> > Here are the things I use on Windows with no
> > decent Linux equivalent:
> >
> > * Palm sync
> >
> Kpilot, gnome-pilot, j-pilot  - I remember a few guys at work had no
> issues syncing with Linux, I don't have one so I can't really say from
> my experience.

It was a pain getting a Tungsten E2 working 2 years ago. Granted,
syncing has never been painless for me on any platform (palm desktop
broke under windows, the sync options under linux were... unpleasant
to say the least, and I had problems under OSX syncing the palm and an
iphone)

> > * Creative audio software + jacks and intuitive control over them

Jacks and intuitive control over them? What's... wrong with the mixer?

... or am I missing something?

> > * Nikon transfer (the camera connects as a USB drive,
> > but software handles organization and backup of the
> > camera's files without me doing the work)
> >
> Nikon xfer, I just mostly mount either as camera or usb storage, usb2 is
> much fast, motherboard USB's have issue with lockups, might be older 1.0 USB
>       I tried a few photo managers, not really into yet. :)
>      Trying Picasa now, F-Spot, Photo Organizer (haven't tried yet)
>   NoiseNinja has a linux version that runs great via wine

Digikam or gphoto2, depending on whether you prefer QT or GTK...

http://quanta.kdewebdev.org/

> > * iTunes
> >
> Banshee possibly

... or Amarok.