[nSLUG] Chebucto Idiot

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 06:13:08 ADT 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:02 AM, Jon <me at jonwatson.ca> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wonder if someone out here can assist me in something Chebucto-ish?
>
> I run a small F/LOSS consulting firm and always find it useful to have
> shells here and there in order to run network tools like dig from a
> variety of resolvers. I *think* that I can get shell access from
> Chebucto, but as a business, I can't figure out how to sign up.

Chebucto has telnet/ftp access, but the shell is lynx.  They do have
PPP dialup which may give you different network connectivity than your
home/business high speed access, but you are still running dig, etc.
on your own machine.

It is not unusual to find that sites that aren't reachable from home/work
are accessible using ssh to chebucto's lynx shell, so if you really
needed access to some web page then their PPP might sometimes
help.

> I end up on this page: http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Services/business.shtml
> where I figure I would like the "For Profit Basic" account, but I can't
> figure out how to sign up for said level of account.The only obvious
> choice on that page is the "Join here" link but that takes me to a page
> that looks like it is for individuals, not businesses.
>
> I'd like to support it at the appropriate level, but I can't seem to
> figure out how to sign up for a "For Profit Basic" account.
>
> Maybe it's just so obvious that I am missing it. Can anyone show me what
> I am missing? It is late, but that is when my wallet is the loosest :)

Chebucto business accounts are designed to allow businesses and
non-profits to have a small 7/24 web presence without having their own
servers.  I think they have some canned cgi scripts that such sites can use.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia