[nSLUG] The tide turned in Armdale Cove...

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Thu Aug 28 14:35:55 ADT 2008

Mike Spencer wrote:
> Jon wrote:
>

>> ...I haven't used it since XP and I no longer remember where
>> anything is.

Last version I had in my house that I truly ran was win95, back in 98.
When I did receive win98, I never installed it, I was already 100%
Slackware by then.

Later on, I had to install win98se to access the vpn at work, they
wouldn't allow swan access.
So I ran win98 from a virtual machine - it was more stable than I ever
remember windows being.
But it still locked up from time to time.  It was nice, hey look blue
screen, click X, double click the app,
back up running win98 in a few seconds. :)

I think the stability was due to hardware issues being faked or fixed
during the emulation.
The only two issues I had with Netraverse was timely kernel patch
updates, and how they decided
to cut a product's support forcing you to upgrade.  My decision, seek a
new vendor.

Often times, I had to convert kernel patches to newer versions, but that
would work most of the time,
until the patches required internal fixes in win4lin code.  Netraverse
did offer a new version that
didn't require kernel patching, but by this time I no longer needed the
vpn support.

> I confess to having one copy of Windoes 3.1 because it supports the
> Kodak proprietary software that interfaces with my extremely simple
> Kodak DC-40.  And DOS 5.0 for playing Civ I.  Otherwise I've been
> all-Linux for nine years.

Try dosbox or dosemu - I can run a lot of the old msdos stuff from it.
Nostalgia mostly. :)

>> ...net result of making me look like an idiot most of them time when
>> talking about computers...
>>

> Yeah.  I remember once talking someone through a somewhat arcane
> MS-DOS 5 problem, keystroke by keystroke, over the phone and getting
> street cred as a Wizard.  Now I don't even know how to turn my wife's
> Win 98 computer off in the correct way.
>

> ObLinuxTech: Is there a straightforward, preferably command-line, way
> to convert one of the standard date formats produced by /bin/date
> (say, "Thu Aug 28 13:07:54 ADT 2008") to the canonical <seconds since
> 1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC> format?  Is this what mktime(3) does
> (assuming that you have tediously and explicitly filled in a struct tm
> yourself)?  Not the current date, you understand, but any arbitrary
> date string as one might appear in a log file.

Check date command - %s for seconds,  that works in Linux and Solaris,
but not Irix.

Rich