[nSLUG] Re: The tide turned in Armdale Cove...

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu Aug 28 13:39:01 ADT 2008

Jon wrote:

> ...I haven't used it since XP and I no longer remember where
> anything is.

But, hey, Windoes is *intuitive*.  Everything is, like, *obvious*,
right?  You don't have to learn all those complicated incantations
that aren't intuitive, right?  If you want to print something, you
just click on the thingie that looks like an open can of beans.  If
you want to go on the internet, you click on the thingie that looks
like a 4-barrel Holley carburetor and select "Other..." from the menu.
It's just soooo easy and obvious....

Er, sorry, I think maybe I've strayed into the wrong tent.... :-)

I confess to having one copy of Windoes 3.1 because it supports the
Kodak proprietary software that interfaces with my extremely simple
Kodak DC-40.  And DOS 5.0 for playing Civ I.  Otherwise I've been
all-Linux for nine years.

> ...net result of making me look like an idiot most of them time when
> talking about computers...

Yeah.  I remember once talking someone through a somewhat arcane
MS-DOS 5 problem, keystroke by keystroke, over the phone and getting
street cred as a Wizard.  Now I don't even know how to turn my wife's
Win 98 computer off in the correct way.

ObLinuxTech: Is there a straightforward, preferably command-line, way
to convert one of the standard date formats produced by /bin/date
(say, "Thu Aug 28 13:07:54 ADT 2008") to the canonical <seconds since
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC> format?  Is this what mktime(3) does
(assuming that you have tediously and explicitly filled in a struct tm
yourself)?  Not the current date, you understand, but any arbitrary
date string as one might appear in a log file.

- Mike

                                                           /V\