[nSLUG] The tide turned in Armdale Cove...

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Thu Aug 28 12:03:57 ADT 2008

Great news :)

J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
> And another one bites the dust.
> I haven't used Windoze since XP came out.

I stopped using Windows...lemme see....2004 I think. I've found that
over time that's not necessarily a good thing because my Windows skills
have faded entirely. Like you, I haven't used it since XP and I no
longer remember where anything is. That has the net result of making me
look like an idiot most of them time when talking about computers in
casual conversation that is invariably with Windows users. Conversation
usually goes something like this:

Other Person: "So, what do you do?"
Me: "I run an IT consulting firm"
OP: "Oh, you must know a lot about computers, then."
Me: "Sure"
OP: "Maybe you can help me then. I don't know how to install a printer
on my computer. How do I do that?"
Me: "I have no idea. I don't know anything about your computer"
OP: "But, how do you help people if you can't even tell me how to do
something simple like install a printer?"
Me: "Well, we don't use or support Windows. We only support another
operating system called Linux"
OP: "Oh, I've never heard of it. Do many people use it?"
Me: "No, not really. A lot of servers run Linux, but there aren't too
many desktop Linux users"
OP: "Oh, well, your business must be poor, then, no?"
Me: "We do OK"
OP: "But if you only support an operating system that nobody uses how
can you make money doing that? Why don't you support an operating system
that everybody runs? Wouldn't you make more money that way?"
Me: "Good point. My business model does suck..."

Jon

> Daryl wrote:
>> David Potter wrote:
>>
>>> Sailors will know that within this province, from harbour to harbour
>>> and cove to cove the time of low tide varies - sometimes significantly
>>> from other parts of the province.
>>>
>>> For over 10 years I've had a linux box under my desk performing
>>> various server and other specific tasks, and a Windoze box that I
>>> 'needed' for one reason or another on my desktop.
>>>
>>> Over the weekend I installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 to replace Fedors C6 on the
>>> server, and last night after using Ubuntu for a couple of days I moved
>>> Ubunto  to my desktop and the Windoze box went _under_ the desk. This
>>> is exciting! (for me... ;-)
>>>
>>> David

>> Welcome to the wonderful world of Ubuntu :) I've been using Ubuntu since
>> version 6.06 and it just keeps getting better and better with each
>> release, can't wait to see what 8.10 has in store for us

Jon Watson, CD, Linux+
Computer Geek? Read This -> http://www.jonwatson.ca/book