[nSLUG] Organizing regular meetings

William Lachance wrlach at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 09:55:35 ADT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 14:03 -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:44:55 -0300
> "Baha Baydar" <bbaydar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In order to get that started I'd like to get an idea of what might
> be
> > a good day to have the meetings on.
>
> In order of preference:
>
> 1. Tuesday
> 2. Any other weeknight *but* Friday
> 3. Sunday afternoon
>
> I'd favour a venue providing decent coffee (e.g. Just Us! Spring
> Garden
> Rd.)  I'm not so interested in an event involving beer/meal.

I'm with Ben on the any-day-but-Friday part. The weekly alternative
energy meetup sounds interesting but I almost always have other social
commitments on Fridays. For example, tomorrow I'm going to Halifax
Critical Mass (feel free to come along if you're a cyclist: see
http://halifaxcriticalmass.ath.cx/).

As for the coffee shop vs. beer/meal question, I think both venues have
their advantages/disadvantages. Certainly I can understand that some
people might be more comfortable in a coffee shop than a pub.

I organized an informal meetup last summer at Coburg coffee just about a
year ago (check the list archives) and it seemed to go great.
Unfortunately, life happened afterwards and I didn't do an immediate