[nSLUG] Low Power

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 16:16:23 ADT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Jim Haliburton <jim at on-site.ns.ca> wrote:
> First off, the idea of hooking up IDE drives probably should be abandoned
> by most users.  Seagate stopped producing them months ago.  Most other
> manufacturers will stop shortly if they have not already.  What IDE
> drives are available now are what is in the distribution pipeline.  They
> are as gone as sure as ST506 drives are gone.

I bought a pair of 320GB drives by seagate just 2 months back, but
this explains why most places were out of stock.  I read in one
blog that seagate will continue to make some IDE models for the
PVR market where SATA isn't an option (yet).

> I have clients using these on a daily basis for their full time computung
> needs.  So the referenced motherboard, the D945GCLF is a low power
> consumption unit, maybe not as low as the AMD but it does work, it is
> available and it fits in standard case.

Availability is always nice.  AMD have yet to produce their new CPU
for retail.  I'm not sure whether I want to wait to get the 8 watts
improvement.

80plus.com is a useful resource for finding efficient power
supplies to match this design.  I evently found that 80plus
can be used as a search term at NCIX, saving a lot of trial
and error searching for specific models.

> As I indicated the board runs CentOS 5.2 just fine.  Mirrored hard disks
> using software mirroring would work just fine.  As a low power
> alternative, as the original request was about, this is an option,
> certainly not the only option.  Maybe others are out there, but these are
> available here in Nova Scotia, now, at an attractive price point,and they
> support Linux.  To top it off they run pretty well.

Thanks for your detailed response.

Where in N.S. do you buy your Intel Atom board and CPU?

--Donald