[nSLUG] Hi

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Wed Aug 27 09:31:59 ADT 2008

Hi Dan,

Welcome to nSLUG.

Dan Peterson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Dan Peterson. My wife, son and I recently moved to NS from
> Arizona. We live in Middle Musq currently but will be moving to
> Halifax next week.

I moved here from Calgary last August and currently live in Windsor. My
wife and I opened up a 4-star B&B and I also work remotely for the
clients of my F/LOSS consulting firm.

> I work remotely as a Systems Engineer for Engine Yard
> (http://www.engineyard.com) doing a lot of work with Xen and Gentoo.
> It's cool to see there's a LUG around. Are there ever meetings? I'd
> definitely be interested in getting together.

I'm not sure where in Arizona you're from, but if it was a large market
then you're probably in for a disappointment. Moving from a large market
myself, I found it surprising that the NSLUG has virtually no meetings
other than the seemingly random coffee clatch now and again. The Calgary
LUG has monthly meetings with speakers from all over the industry and
that led me to believe that all LUGs were similar in that way. I also
found it odd that there is only one LUG in the whole province rather
than smaller, more geographically constrained LUGs as is the custom
elsewhere. However, once I came to understand the geography of Nova
Scotia better the reason became clear. The layout of Nova Scotia is such
that other than Halifax, the population is scattered throughout the
province in relatively small towns ("small" being a relative term
depending on what you're used to). So, in a more populous area the
relatively small percentage of Linux users still represent enough
individuals to have meetings and organized events. In a less populous
area like NS, it's less feasible.

I presume based on the population spread and the fact that Keane is in
Halifax would mean that there is a higher percentage of Linux users in
Halifax region. Once you move there, you may have better luck getting a
meet together with local users there rather than a meet with the LUG at
large.

Jon