[nSLUG] Low power upgrade for PIII home server

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Mon Aug 25 21:05:14 ADT 2008

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008, D G Teed wrote:

> I saw a wikipedia page which lists the watts power rating
> on a bunch of CPU models and the future wasn't
> looking good for a low power system that can do
> email and file server for home.

Just for fun I plugged my Acer Aspire into my Killawatt power meter and at
idle on the default distro and manufacturer's settings it runs between 13W
and 16W. After dinking around with a custom setup on a USB key, I managed
to get the idle draw down to 10.5W (it was alternating between 10 and 11,
so I usually peg that at 10.5). With an 8G SSD this may not have quite
enough storage for you, but it has two SD card slots and 3 USB sticks if
you feel like building up some demented removable storage based system.

I think my dual core AMD 64 2.1GHz box with 4 drives and 2 1 gig sticks of
RAM in it runs at around a 90W draw, if I recall correctly.

Cheers... Dop.