[nSLUG] Low Power system

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Mon Aug 25 17:13:47 ADT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 03:43:01PM -0300, D G Teed wrote:

> I've been able to find the motherboards with the AMD 790G
> chipset on a site such as NCIX, but the Athlon 64 2000+ is not
> for sale anywhere I've looked.

The Athlon 64 x2 2000+ is (likely) a hand picked AMD running at 1GHz
with a low voltage. This is interesting because a regular AMD with
Cool & Quite enabled will dynamicly down clock to run at 1GHz with a
reduced voltage. I suspect that any of the recent low power AMD X2
processors will use a similar small ammount of power when
idle. Unfortunately I can't find any recent documentation regarding
power usage on the latest AMD processors. The newest document is from 2007.

That said it is really hard to beat the price of the Intel board with
the integrated Atom.

--
sg