[nSLUG] Low Power system

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 16:43:45 ADT 2008

2008/8/25 D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca>
> wrote:

> The Intel Atom procssor solution seems geared purely towards embedded
> market, while I'm looking for something that will mount in a standard
> tower system, hook up IDE drives and CDROM.  So there seem to be two
> reasons to go for the AMD path, at this time (ATX mainboard and lower
> power).

In Jim's post at the top of this thread, when talking about the Intel Atom
D945GCLF, he noted:

> The m/b fits in and mounts to the micro ATX mounting holes just fine in
> an existing case.

I agree that if you're going to be doing RAID, you might want the larger
expansion capabilities of a full-size motherboard.  But you _can_ put up
to 4 hard drives (more if you add a PCI controller) and/or ATAPI devices
on it.

-D.