[nSLUG] Low Power system

Greg O'Brien gregmcal at eastlink.ca
Mon Aug 25 16:19:54 ADT 2008

So if you want an atom in a low power situation how about an ASUS EEE
upgrade the HDD and install your own distro. Then BOB's your uncle. Instant
low power server with battery backup for about $400

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca>
wrote:

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 08:51:46AM -0300, Jim Haliburton wrote:

> If you need a low power motherboard that has pretty good performance look
> at the Intel D945GCLF.  It has a 1.6 GHz Atom processor.

Unfortunately the Atom proc is paired with a power hungry
chipset. Systems based on that board are still going to burn 40w or
more. The Tomshardware article linked earlier found that an AMD x2
2000+ with 790G chipset had better performance and consumed a few less
watts.

This shows that when looking for a low power sytem it is important to
do your research. Many low power systems aren't that low power.

Thanks for reading the linked article...

The original post included the link to the review at Tom's
Hardware Review where the AMD and Intel low power solutions
are compared.  The AMD solution came in at 1/2 the power consumption due
to the motherboard + chipset differences.

Here is the review link again:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Atom-Athlon-Efficient,1997.html

I've been able to find the motherboards with the AMD 790G
chipset on a site such as NCIX, but the Athlon 64 2000+ is not
for sale anywhere I've looked.  The Intel Atom procssor solution
seems geared purely towards embedded market, while I'm looking for
something that will mount in a standard tower system, hook up IDE
drives and CDROM.  So there seem to be two reasons to
go for the AMD path, at this time (ATX mainboard and lower power).

When this new stuff does appear, I think I'll be chucking out some
old hardware.  I usually like to save ancient equipment from landfill,
but when it burns more coal than it could, I think it should be recycled.

--Donald