[nSLUG] Low power upgrade for PIII home server

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 01:24:49 ADT 2008

2008/8/24 Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms>:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 11:45:00PM -0300, Daniel Morrison wrote:
>> 2008/8/24 Oliver Baltzer <oliver at hytek.org>:

>> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=12&l2=43&l3=0&model=359&modelmenu=1

>> It works well and so far had nothing to complain about. I am running
>> OpenWRT on it.

Thanks for that -- it's good to know you're happy with it.

>> > On 24/08/08 11:09 PM, Ian Campbell was heard to say:

> Some of the other non-Linksys routers supported by openwrt, dd-wrt
> etc. have USB 2.0, I think. I can't think of any names offhand, and
> I'm not sure where they can be bought locally, I'm sure you can find
> something suitable online with a bit of google-fu.

I spoke a bit brashly; there are a few on this page:

   http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Search or highlight 'USB 2.0'.

But it also depends on what you mean by reasonable.  Nice used 16/4
(RAM/flash) WRT-style wireless routers (without USB) can be had for about
$35 if you're a bit patient.  (BTW, I'm always talking about street
prices, and by 'street', I mean eBay, and I'm including the shipping).

The DLink DIR-330 (32/8) stands out, as it's probably not hard to get.
Only one USB 2.0 port, but one is often enough.  Probably about the same
price as the Asus you linked to ($120-140?).

The one I keep an eye out for is the Linksys WRTSL54GS (32/8), which has
got, among other standard features, many more capital letters and numbers
jumbled together in its name than any device should ever deserve to have.

Linksys have got some gigabit switch wireless routers also, but they're
still playing the serial/model number game so it doesn't seem worth it.
Especially since 802.11n isn't actually finished yet, is it?

That's about the end of the list if you want wireless and routing.  If you
just need a system, I'd get a slug (Linksys NSLU2).  They've recently been
discontinued; looks like they go for $65-70, new.

> Also, yeah, screw netgear. It's garbage.

My rule with netgear is: if it has a casing (e.g. wireless router) then
it's crap.  If it's sold as a bare PCB, it's OK.

I've bought a half-dozen Netgear GA302T Gigabit PCI NICs, and they've
worked great for me.  A little more expensive than the _really_ cheap
Netgear gigabit cards, but still under $20 each.

Oliver said:
> In these cases a low-cost netbook
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook) might be a sufficient
> alternative. Plus, it comes with built-in backup power ;-)

...and, in general, any old laptop/notebook will use less power than a
desktop/server system.  Although it might not have the built-in backup
power (anymore).  :-\

-D.