[nSLUG] Low power upgrade for PIII home server

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Sun Aug 24 23:58:25 ADT 2008

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 11:45:00PM -0300, Daniel Morrison wrote:
> 2008/8/24 Oliver Baltzer <oliver at hytek.org>:
> > On 24/08/08 11:09 PM, Ian Campbell was heard to say:
>
> >> ... or not upgrade at all. Exactly how beefy a file server do you
> >> really need?
>
> > Really! A USB-enabled wireless router uses well below 10W (maybe 15W
> > with low power HD or even flash) and should be more than enough to
> > handle a couple or thousand spam emails a day and 100 Mbps file transfers.
>
> You beat me to it!
>
> That's exactly what I was going to say, except that I'm not aware of any
> reliable Linux-based wireless routers that have USB 2.0 for a reasonable
> price.  I have a Netgear that meets those specifications, but it's so bad
> it's got me sworn off of Netgear products.

Some of the other non-Linksys routers supported by openwrt, dd-wrt
etc. have USB 2.0, I think. I can't think of any names offhand, and
I'm not sure where they can be bought locally, I'm sure you can find
something suitable online with a bit of google-fu.

Also, yeah, screw netgear. It's garbage.

... depending on what you're trying to build a router might not be
adequate though. I'm looking at building a low power asterisk box and
there are... mixed opinions on whether a router is suitable, so I'm
looking at VIA.