[nSLUG] Low power upgrade for PIII home server

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 23:45:00 ADT 2008

2008/8/24 Oliver Baltzer <oliver at hytek.org>:
> On 24/08/08 11:09 PM, Ian Campbell was heard to say:

>> ... or not upgrade at all. Exactly how beefy a file server do you
>> really need?

> Really! A USB-enabled wireless router uses well below 10W (maybe 15W
> with low power HD or even flash) and should be more than enough to
> handle a couple or thousand spam emails a day and 100 Mbps file transfers.

You beat me to it!

That's exactly what I was going to say, except that I'm not aware of any
reliable Linux-based wireless routers that have USB 2.0 for a reasonable
price.  I have a Netgear that meets those specifications, but it's so bad
it's got me sworn off of Netgear products.

I got my hands on a few of these recently:

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=12&l2=44&l3=0&model=460&modelmenu=1

It still only has USB 1 (despite anything the specifications say), but it
does away with the problem by having an ATA/100 interface (2.5" disk).
Oh, and compatible with DD-WRT, etc..., of course.

-D.

PS: Haven't actually tried them out yet, due to lack of Hong Kong -> North
American plug adapter...