[nSLUG] Low power upgrade for PIII home server

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 21:59:09 ADT 2008

Anyone running an old system at home like myself might
be wondering how to upgrade to higher capacities of RAM
and CPU strength without an increase in the power bill.
I've been using a dual PIII system with 30 watt processors
which I'll be shortly upgrading to Coppermine PIII.  These
run at about half the watts compared with a Katmai PIII CPU
with the same Mhz rating.

I saw a wikipedia page which lists the watts power rating
on a bunch of CPU models and the future wasn't
looking good for a low power system that can do
email and file server for home.

Then I happened on this link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Atom-Athlon-Efficient,1997.html

In essence, AMD's motherboard chipset allowed for lower power
consumption from the motherboard, while the Intel and AMD
CPUs were roughly equal in power consumption.

I don't know if Intel's Atom processor can be used in an ATX motherboard
scenario, but the AMD 64 2000+ processor is compatible with regular
sockets, so if one could locate a place selling an ATX motherboard with
the AMD 780G chipset, this would be a nice low power solution
for home servers which stay up 24x7 but have low utilization.