[nSLUG] Kubuntu

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 13:28:46 ADT 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Sheldon Tower <shtower at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Thanks for your help with my problem with Seamonkey. After some
> unsuccessful tinkering, I ended up reinstalling Kubuntu, since it was a
> very new install in the first place. After the second install, Seamonkey
> and Firefox worked perfectly.

While it is good that you got it working, it is too bad you didn't get to the
bottom of the problem.  Fixing problems is a good way to develop
your skills so you can deal with similar problems in the future:

a) you may have enountered a bug that will affect other users;

b) the steps you take to investigate are necessary for good bug
reports;

c) you may have done something that will cause other problems
down the road.

Learning to use tools like ldd, strace, and ldconfig are
essential to anyone developing applications or who want to
use  "test" or "pre-release" versions.

A common example that leads to strange problems is some user
configuration being done as "root", resulting in files being created
with root ownership under the user's home directory.   This
configuration may be done the first time the app is run, so you
may not know exactly what is being done without further
investigation.

The internet is full of bad or outdated advice.   One example is
recipes for setting environment variables to work around some
underlying configuration problem that has long since been resolved.

It is surprising how different two linux systems, or even two different
user accounts on the same machine can become, even when
they started out the same.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia