[nSLUG] Does /boot partition HAVE to be at the beginning of disk?

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Fri Aug 15 10:23:17 ADT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 12:55:27PM +0000, Allan Lavell wrote:
> Hi, just a quick question. Is it mandatory for the /boot partition to be on
> the first cylinders of a modern hard disk on a modern computer (post
> 2007)?

I think the issue you are thinking of didn't require /boot to be in
the first cylinder but the first 1024 so that the bios can access the
kernel. I don't think this issue has gone away but then it hasn't been
a problem for me in quite some time. It may be that the grub
bootloader used by most distros doesn't have this limitation.

I only use /boot when I need to. Such as with LVM or encrypted
drives. Otherwise I create /, swap, and maybe /home.