[nSLUG] Does /boot partition HAVE to be at the beginning of disk?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 10:21:44 ADT 2008

The /boot partition doesn't have to be at the start, but there may be some
limitations on where you can put it, depending on whether your BIOS has
LBA enabled, which boot loader you use, etc.

With GRUB legacy:

3. Can I put Stage2 into a partition which is over 1024 cylinders?

Yes, you can, if your BIOS supports LBA mode. Although you had to use a
special Stage1 in the previous version, it isn't necessary any longer, because
Stage1 now supports both modes.

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Allan Lavell <alavell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, just a quick question. Is it mandatory for the /boot partition to be on
> the first cylinders of a modern hard disk on a modern computer (post 2007)?
> I seem to remember reading somewhere that it does on OLDER stuff, having
> something to do with the BIOS.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia