[nSLUG] MacOS was: Dell Inspiron 1525N w/ Ubuntu 8.04?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 17:13:44 ADT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:56:22AM -0300, Ian Bezanson wrote:
>> Ouch... Windows comparison is a little harsh.
>
> Install Cygwin on Windows and you will have a *nix environment that is
> every bit as good as the *nix in MacOS.

I don't agree with that.  A key characteristic of *X is that you can
run a pipleline of simple tools (awk, sed, grep , tr, ...) in a loop
without a major sacrifice in performance.  Sure I can run the same
pipeline with cygwin, but the performance is more than 10 worse.

Another key characteristic of *X is than non-trivial applications are
portable with "minor" changes.

There was just a discussion in c.t.t. about getting TeX Live into Cygwin.
A few years there was a port of teTeX (which essentially became TeX Live
when teTeX maintenance ended), but it required extensive patches and
didn't get into the upstream sources.  My guess is that current TeX Live
could be ported to Cygwin with fewer patches.   A big problem for TeX
Live on Win32 is the lack of a viable .dvi file viewer.   TeX Live has
been ported to MacOSX (using X11) with "minor" changes.  If you
can do that for Cygwin you  people all around the world would like to
buy you a beer.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia