[nSLUG] Acer Aspire One was: Dell Inspiron 1525N w/ Ubuntu 8.04?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 17:06:45 ADT 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 08:14:10AM -0300, Dop Ganger wrote:
>>
>> My latest acquisition is an Acer Aspire One; 512 meg of RAM, 8 gig SSD,
>> 1.6 gig dual core Atom, 2 SD card slots, 3 USB, webcam, wifi, nic, 3G.
>
> Staples carries this as well.
>

>> For my next trick, I shall try to tether it via Bluetooth stick to my
>> Windows Mobile phone
>
> If you are have decent with a soldering iron there is a spare USB
> connection inside the Aspire One.
>
> How do you find the speed of the SSD? I have heard that the SSD is
> terribly slow.

Compared to what, and what sort of workload?   For the benchmarks I
have seen, SSD is slower than a tiny (ipod) 4500 RPM disk at serial
transfers, but much better for small file random access.  Apple Air
users say the SSD gives a nicer experience -- much less
hour-glass waiting when surfing the web, etc.

It would be interesting to know what sort of performance you can
get with external disks (USB vs network mount).

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia