[nSLUG] MacOS was: Dell Inspiron 1525N w/ Ubuntu 8.04?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 15:52:05 ADT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> This (to me, then) incredible horseshit caused me to permanently write
> off Apple as part of Them, not Us and certainly not Me. Recent cries of
> Unix-Under-The-Hood sounded great when I first heard about it but,
> AFAICT, it's still wrapped in the same arrogance and hubris as
> refelcted in the above anecdote.

There are idiots working for all the big companies, and also some
really good people (although I know some good people who worked
at Dec, got sold to Microsoft, and couldn't stand to work there --
maybe the really good people are only passing thru).   If you can
do the things you need to do with linux, you can avoid the idiots until
you need warranty repairs ("just run our windows hardware diagnostic
program and report the code").

>    We offer you a Perfect World. Just as long as you stay inside the
>    yellow lines. Please stay inside the yellow lines.  The Armed
>    Response Team thanks you for staying inside the yellow lines.

 '60's folk song ny Phil Ochs about a US reporter named Willian Worthy who
wanted to visit Cuba and was denied permission to go:

"You are living in the free world and in the free world you must stay."
<http://www.thelyricarchive.com/song/174129-21792/Ballad-of-William-Worthy>

An Alberta station CKUA recently joined with PBS to do a series on Folkway
Records.  This song was included in one of their podcasts, and should
be available from the Smithsonian web site.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia