[nSLUG] Re: MacOS was: Dell Inspiron 1525N w/ Ubuntu 8.04?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu Aug 14 14:26:21 ADT 2008

> MacOS is fine as long as you don't mind limiting yourself to the
> "Apple Way."

Just an anecdote:

I borrowed an Apple ][ (sic) in 1980, my first computer "experience"
since 1964 and punch cards.  I was sold but I couldn't afford my own
just then.

Soon thereafter, Apple was ballyhooing the Mac so I borrowed a Mac for
a week, then went into the Apple Store and had a look:

    Me: So, how do you program it?

    AppleGuy:  What do you want to do?

    Me: Well, I want to write programs for it.

    AG: Yes, but what do you want to *do*?

    Me: Program? You know?  Like, write a program that the machine will
        run?

    AG: But what do you want to do?

       [Rinse & repeat ad naus.]

Never did get him to tell me how you program a Mac.  A bit later, from
a different source, I learned that you could buy a "programmer's
switch", a piece of plastic that you stuck into a hole on the back of
the machine where it presses against an already-present switch and
does $SOMETHING allowing you to, in some sense, "program". You also
needed a "application developer's kit", two or three hundred bucks
(early 80s $$) worth of Apple-proprietary disks.

This (to me, then) incredible horseshit caused me to permanently write
off Apple as part of Them, not Us and certainly not Me. Recent cries of
Unix-Under-The-Hood sounded great when I first heard about it but,
AFAICT, it's still wrapped in the same arrogance and hubris as
refelcted in the above anecdote.

    We offer you a Perfect World. Just as long as you stay inside the
    yellow lines. Please stay inside the yellow lines.  The Armed
    Response Team thanks you for staying inside the yellow lines.

FWIW,
- Mike

                                                           /V\