[nSLUG] MacOS was: Dell Inspiron 1525N w/ Ubuntu 8.04?

Joe Dunn me at joedunn.com
Thu Aug 14 12:01:03 ADT 2008

I'm going to totally disagree.

The opensource tools on OS X are great, especially when combined with ports
or Fink. I'm not sure what issues you ran into that Apple put up the big red
stop light but it hasn't happened to be yet.

Out of box you have terminal, nfs, smb, dav, zfs. A mac will pretty much
mount anything. With macfuse you can mount your remote ssh box with sshfs.

Almost all day to day command line tools are available from macports I find
and compiling from source isn't all that bad either.

With the option to have vmware running linux and mac side by side, I'm
unsure as to what you could be missing. Unity mode in b2.2 is pretty stable.

Can you elaborate as to what you were missing? I'm truly interested. I find
apple for all the marketing crap they do supports a lot of open source
software.

Apple developers are involved in the macosforge project and help out all the
time.

X11 isn't perfect, especially in Leopard but the apps work.

Any who

Joe