[nSLUG] Dell Inspiron 1525N w/ Ubuntu 8.04?

David Payne david at payneful.ca
Wed Aug 13 23:34:27 ADT 2008

Hi,

People are talking about MacBooks and Linux/Mac OS X.  This is just my
experences with mine.  I picked up a MacBook when I bought my laptop
last year.

Mac OS X is UNIX but to someone who likes the flexability of a desktop
like Gnome it's just NOT the same.  X11 applications just don't feel
integrated in the system and things like Gnome panels are much more
flexable than the dock in OS X.  I don't want to say the Mac way of
doing things are bad, but if you are looking for an experence a lot like
Linux on the desktop it is not the same.

I'm not sure why you need an insert key to work with vi/vim.  I never
touch it.  Isn't that what 'i' is for?  I wouldn't call it essential,
that's for sure, unless there is some functionality that I don't know
about, but I have been using vim almost daily for a few years now.

Lack of middle/right mouse button stinks, but there is work arounds like
the double/triple tap.  I have it set up that I can press the lower
enterkey and click for a right click, Shift+lower enter for middle
click.

I currently have Ubuntu 8.04 installed.  Hardware support is good if you
follow the instructions in the wiki:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook

I never tried sleep or suspend.  Wifi is fine if you use the latest
MadWifi drivers that they talk about in the above wiki.

I'm not for or against MacBooks.  I would have to say I'm pleased with
mine since everything works and I no longer have to use Mac OS X.  I'm
sure there are cheaper options that still run Linux very well.

David