[nSLUG] Acer Aspire One was: Dell Inspiron 1525N w/ Ubuntu 8.04?

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Aug 13 12:10:30 ADT 2008

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Stephen Gregory wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 08:14:10AM -0300, Dop Ganger wrote:
>>
>> My latest acquisition is an Acer Aspire One; 512 meg of RAM, 8 gig SSD,
>> 1.6 gig dual core Atom, 2 SD card slots, 3 USB, webcam, wifi, nic, 3G.
>
> Staples carries this as well.

Ah, there was nothing out there when I ordered it a couple of weeks ago,
and the reviews looked more positive than the Eee's.

>> For my next trick, I shall try to tether it via Bluetooth stick to my
>> Windows Mobile phone
>
> If you are have decent with a soldering iron there is a spare USB
> connection inside the Aspire One.

Yeah, I've seen that on one of the forums, but I didn't pay for the laptop
so I'm loath to start hacking on it too much ;-)

> How do you find the speed of the SSD? I have heard that the SSD is
> terribly slow.

I haven't seen it being a problem. The write speed isn't anything stellar,
but read is quite nippy - I think it's somewhere in the region of 15
seconds from hitting the power button to it being up and running in X. A
couple of quick and dirty speed tests:

time dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1M count=1024

1.1 gig in 133.098S, 8.1MB/s (bear in mind there was probably some write
caching going on so take that with a pinch of salt)

time dd if=test of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1024
1.1 gig, 28.744s, 37.4MB/s

The other option I'm toying with is a RAID0 array on a couple of SD cards,
since it has two slots...

Cheers... Dop.