[nSLUG] Dell Inspiron 1525N w/ Ubuntu 8.04?

Jon me at jonwatson.ca
Wed Aug 13 09:30:01 ADT 2008

Luke Gavel wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting a ubuntu laptop from dell.ca.  It's about $579.00, and my primary goal is to have something handy to doodle with scripts in front of my TV downstairs.  Has anyone had good experiences with dell ubuntu laptops?  Is it even a good idea?  What's better?

I had been running a Dell Inspiron 9400 (model e1705in the US) for a few
years now - primarily with Ubuntu. The ATI graphics and intel wireless
NIC posed no issues as long as I used the restricted repos. However,
there is a buggy disk driver in 8.04 which is not compatible with the
hard drive in it. There's a bug on Launchpad somewhere - I don't have
the link handy. There may be a fix for it but since this laptop is now
just the guest laptop (I run a B&B), I just downgraded it and moved on.

I'm not sure if these two models share the same hard drive, but I
recommend Googling specifically for the hard drive model and Ubuntu just
to be sure.

--
Jon Watson, CD, Linux+
Computer Geek? Read This -> http://www.jonwatson.ca/book