[nSLUG] Dell Inspiron 1525N w/ Ubuntu 8.04?

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Aug 13 08:14:10 ADT 2008

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Luke Gavel wrote:

> I'm thinking of getting a ubuntu laptop from dell.ca.  It's about
> $579.00, and my primary goal is to have something handy to doodle with
> scripts in front of my TV downstairs.  Has anyone had good experiences
> with dell ubuntu laptops?  Is it even a good idea?  What's better?

My experience with Dell laptops is if you get a good one it's OK, but if
you get a lemon you may as well give up and throw it straight in the
garbage.

My latest acquisition is an Acer Aspire One; 512 meg of RAM, 8 gig SSD,
1.6 gig dual core Atom, 2 SD card slots, 3 USB, webcam, wifi, nic, 3G.
Comes loaded with Linpus Linux with full source available from Acer
(unfortunately in RPM format but we can't have everything). I'm only aware
of one guy selling it locally as it's so new (DBW Computer Solutions over
in Dartmouth) but NCIX look to have just got it in stock
(http://tinyurl.com/6xcou2). Can't complain at the price, either.

For my next trick, I shall try to tether it via Bluetooth stick to my
Windows Mobile phone (damn Aliant for their intransigence in refusing to
carry PalmOS) and use it for on-call work when I'm travelling.

Cheers... Dop.